Top Social

Minimalistic | Lifestyle | Beauty

7 must-read books!!!

10 April 2017

Anyone close to me could tell you how much I love books - It's a passion that I discovered in childhood and just couldn't leave it behind! I have over 120 books in a bookcase in my room that is my prized possession and whenever my dad suggests putting some in the attic i strongly oppose haha! I'm always reading something and sometimes I get so wrapped into books that i've been known to finish some series' in 1-2 days - it's ridiculous but sometimes the stories are just so enchanting and I feel myself being pulled in.

I've crafted together a small stack of some of my favourite books (with different style stories and genres) that I loved and I know that you will too! Prepare for some word vomit... sorry!!


The Art of Being Normal by Lisa Williamson 

TAOBN is about two boys with two secrets. David, has always been an outsider and his parents think he's gay but only his two best friends know that he wants to be a girl. Leo Denton wants to be invisible but after he attracts the attention of a beautiful girl in his school year changed that plan. Leo stands up for David in a fight and from there a friendship forms but school secrets soon spill. 

This was a book i couldn't put down. It was sad as it made me realise how hard it is for people who are not cis-gender to live their lives and made me see that privilege i have. It includes important themes which can be heavy but the book explained and showed things like gender and sexuality in a light a lot of people need to understand. I highly recommend this book (as i will with all the others hence why i put them in this list.. haha) 

The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson

Jandy Nelson is a known author in the YA book world and so when I saw TSIE I was automatically interested and the gorgeous cover was hard to resist! Whilst the book takes a while to get into due to Nelson writing (not a bad thing at all - she just likes to describe a lot of the scene!) deals with grief and love. 

Lennie Walker's sister, Bailey, dies leaving her to be at the centre of her own life. She's torn between two boys, Toby - her sisters ex boyfriend and Joe - the new boy in town. To quote the Goodreads description 'For Lennie, they're the sun and the moon; one boy takes her out of her sorrow, the other comforts her in it. But just like their celestial counterparts, they can't collide without the whole wide world exploding.' It's a nice read and is beautifully written. 

Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Mass

Looking again on Goodreads Rick Riordan wrote an excellent description of this book: "Caleana Sardothien, young woman assassin, is betrayed and sentenced to the salt mines of Endovier. After a year, however, she is given an opportunity: If she wins a contest to become the king's champion, she will be granted a four-year contract, working as an assassin for the empire she hates, at the end of which time she will be freed." 

This book automatically jumped out to me as well, my mum actually picked a few of the books up for me as they're a series two Christmas' ago and i knew i'd love the book! Strong female characters that has everything from mystery to humour to even romance!

Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard

This book is captivating to say the very least, it's like the hunger games, game of thrones and the selection all in one! This and Throne of Glass are some of my absolute favourite books (paired with The Mortal Instruments i mentioned in another post of mine) Mare Barrow is in a world that is divided by blood, the commoners have red blood and serve the people with silver blood as they're seen as elite due to their superhuman abilities. 

Mare is a Red, scraping by as a thief in a poor, rural village, until a twist of fate throws her in front of the Silver court. There, before the king, princes, and all the nobles, she discovers she has an ability of her own. To cover up this impossibility, the king forces her to play the role of a lost Silver princess, and betroths her to one of his own sons. As Mare is drawn further into the Silver world, she risks everything and uses her new position to help the Scarlet Guard—a growing Red rebellion—even as her heart tugs her in an impossible direction. One wrong move can lead to her death, but in the dangerous game she plays the only certainty is betrayal (Barnes and Nobel). 

All the Bright Places by Jennifer Niven

Theodore Finch is fascinated by death, and he constantly thinks of ways he might kill himself. But each time, something good, no matter how small, stops him. Violet Markey lives for the future, counting the days until graduation, when she can escape her Indiana town and her aching grief in the wake of her sister’s recent death. When Finch and Violet meet on the ledge of the bell tower at school, it’s unclear who saves whom (Goodreads). 

This book broke my heart, it's a stunning book (shoutout to Marc for gifting me this for my birthday) but it's a genuinely heart-wrenching love story about 'a girl who learns to live from a boy who intends to die'.

Everything Everything by Nicola Yoon 

This is a book you may want to read soon considering the movie adaption is going to be out in cinemas soon [trailer]. 

My disease is as rare as it is famous. Basically, I’m allergic to the world. I don’t leave my house, have not left my house in seventeen years. The only people I ever see are my mom and my nurse, Carla. But then one day, a moving truck arrives next door. I look out my window, and I see him. He’s tall, lean and wearing all black—black T-shirt, black jeans, black sneakers, and a black knit cap that covers his hair completely. He catches me looking and stares at me. I stare right back. His name is Olly. Maybe we can’t predict the future, but we can predict some things. For example, I am certainly going to fall in love with Olly. It’s almost certainly going to be a disaster (Goodreads)

This book was incredible and I was hooked it's worth the read for the beautiful love story alone but there is a major plot twist that changes the whole story!

Looking For Alaska by John Green

Before. Miles “Pudge” Halter is done with his safe life at home. His whole life has been one big non-event, and his obsession with famous last words has only made him crave “the Great Perhaps” even more (Francois Rabelais, poet). He heads off to the sometimes crazy and anything-but-boring world of Culver Creek Boarding School, and his life becomes the opposite of safe. Because down the hall is Alaska Young. The gorgeous, clever, funny, sexy, self-destructive, screwed up, and utterly fascinating Alaska Young. She is an event unto herself. She pulls Pudge into her world, launches him into the Great Perhaps, and steals his heart. Then. . . . After. Nothing is ever the same (Goodreads).

This book was the only John Green i truly enjoyed after reading the Fault in Our Stars (nothing could live up to it) but i thoroughly enjoyed this book, the story and the characters. As most John Green books go, this one also broke my heart! 


I hope you enjoyed my lengthy post (I did warn you!!). I talked about Goodreads a lot in this post and trust me this isn't sponsored it's just a seriously good website where i've found a lot of the books i've read due to reviews by actual people, descriptions of the books and a little section that even shows you similar books you may like! You c an even keep lists of books you've read and want to read - it's perfect. Feel free to follow me on Goodreads: 
https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/8317122-rebecca  

Over and out,


Post Comment
Post a Comment

Auto Post Signature

Auto Post  Signature