Top Social

Minimalistic | Lifestyle | Beauty

Hair do's and Dont's with Madison Reed

4 February 2016

We've all wondered whether or not the myths we hear about our hair are true, whether that be is it safe to dye it? or does cutting it actually make it grow quicker? Well I'm here with the help of hair royalty Madison Reed to help give you some pointers in the right direction!

I can’t even begin counting the number of hair myths I've heard and the number I've tried and without any real help or guidance I never knew if they were doing my hair any good!

So today I’ve decided to bring you some Do’s and Dont's when it comes to haircare!


DO have trims regularly to get rid of split ends and prevent breakage. There is a lot of talk about whether or not trimming your hair actually makes it grow faster well this is a misconception but will in fact make your hair look and feel much healthier which is nearly better than having Rapunzel inspired locks!

DON’T tie wet hair in a ponytail, this weakens each strand of hair as the proteins that hold the hair together are temporarily broken. When your hair starts to dry, it begins to shorten and if it’s tied too tightly hair may break.

DO colour hair! Many people believe that dying your hair will initially ruin it but many of the popular hair dyes that people use contain harsh chemicals such as ammonia. But Madison Reed promises to strengthen and protect your hair with their Radiant Cream Colour which is packed with keratin, ginseng root extract and argan oil! 

It's true what they say about heat or any other hair protection... DO use it! Heat protection from your straightener, curler and hair dryer can cause a lost of damage that can 'bare' strands, so using protection is super important especially if you're wanting to grow your hair out - it can cause a lot of split ends! Trust me I know, I never used to use protection on my hair until I realised the damage I was doing!

We've all seen the 'hacks' all over the internet about cold water making hair shiny but I hate to break your bubble, DON'T do this! Hair cuticles don't open or close because of temperatures, instead of this use a gloss or a leave in conditioner instead!

Dying your hair through pregnancy has always been a giant NO! But according to Madison Reed and Dr. Jan Hansen, a board-certified OB/GYN, confrim that women can in fact colour hair during pregnancy but it's important to contact your GP before hand just to check!

Shampooing hair every day can strip the hair of it's natural oils and this can cause colour to fade and often hair can get even more greasy due to this! Try and ease up on the shampooing and try and leave at least one day in between washing. Madison Reed recommend their sulfate-free shampoo and conditioner to lock in colour. 

There are just 7 insightful tips to help you in your everyday life and in your hair journey if you're thinking about cutting or dying your hair! Want to know a few more facts? Read below at this graphic made up by the Madison Reed team!


If you are curious about dying your hair at home but you're scared the colour won't match your skin tone then use Madison Reed's colour advisor by answering 8 short questions you'll know in no time what colours are best for you!

That's it from me and I apologise for my absence, it's still pretty cold in the UK and I've been stuck down by a bad case of the flu but it's safe to say I'm well on the mend! But leave me a comment below and tell me if you knew any of these do's or don't's or if you're had a hair dye at home go bad or good?
Post Comment
Post a Comment

Auto Post Signature

Auto Post  Signature